Who We Are
We are Blackwell Burke
A powerful, efficient and diverse trial firm with a national practice and winning record.
Our litigators and trial lawyers are true players in the Fortune 500 legal market. We handle high-stakes complex litigation, class actions, and trials. Our attorneys and firm cases appear in major news outlets such as CNN, The Economist, and Law360. We represent clients in the most challenging litigation, often involving novel legal or scientific issues.
Our firm was founded in 2006 by current chairman Jerry W. Blackwell and prominent Minneapolis trial attorney Martin “Skip” Burke. Mr. Burke passed away in 2016.
We don’t simply strive for diversity. We embody it.
At Blackwell Burke, diversity is more than a committee title or future goal. It’s how we practice. Our attorneys’ rare mixture of talents, diverse cultural backgrounds, and skills enable us to generate creative approaches and solutions. Our cultural competence and breadth of life experience make us better trial lawyers. We are the law firm for today and the future. Our attorneys have been leaders in the legal profession’s inclusion efforts by creating the Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers and Minnesota Mother Attorneys Association. Our founder was honored as a Minnesota Minority Business Owner of the Year and awarded the Minnesota Equal Justice Award.
We play to win.
We are a trial firm.
Blackwell Burke P.A. is a trial firm. Although we prefer to handle our clients’ cases from day one, our attorneys are often hired to take over or join an existing litigation team as trial becomes imminent. Our clients appreciate that we are experienced trial lawyers, not just discovery and settlement litigators. Our experience with corporate witnesses, experts, juries, and trial technology is first class. Mock trials give our team an opportunity to test trial themes, legal acumen, witness presentations, and courtroom arguments in front of representative jurors. We use what we learn in mock trials to strengthen our clients’ case and our settlement position.
Health & Wellness
Good health is our most valuable resource.
We believe our firm’s strength and our successes depend on each of us doing our best. That is why we created the Blackwell Burke Wellness Program: to help maintain a healthy work environment for all of our employees and to help our employees stay healthy and well. Our wellness initiatives include concrete programs – both big and small – to promote wellbeing among all of our legal professionals and are available to all employees on a voluntary basis. The initiatives are meant not only to promote health and wellness, but also to increase morale by providing employees at all levels the opportunity to work together toward collective fitness and wellness goals.
Top honors for our attorneys and firm.
- 3M Supplier of the Year Award for Minority Owned Business
- AV Preeminent® Ranking (Martindale-Hubbell)
- AV Preeminent® Ranking – Judicial Edition (Martindale Hubbell)
- Benchmark Litigation Minnesota Firm of the Year (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022)
- Benchmark Litigation Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Benchmark Litigation Highly Recommended
- Benchmark Litigation Impact Case Award for the First Posthumous Pardon in Minnesota History Re: Max Mason
- Benchmark Litigation Minnesota Litigation Stars
- BTI Brand Elite Firm
- BTI Client Service MVP (only one in Minnesota)
- BTI Client Service All-Star
- BTI Client Service Super All-Star
- BTI Client Service A-Team
- BTI Legal Mover & Shaker Award
- BTI Litigation Powerhouse
- Burton Award for Excellence in Legal Writing
- Burton Award for Legal Achievement
- Chambers and Partners Leading Firm
- Counsel to Counsel Award – The National Law Journal
- Distinguished Citizen Award, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity
- Equal Justice Award, Minnesota Council on Crime and Justice
- Excellence in Service Award, General Mills Supplier Diversity
- Go-To Law Firm for the Top 500 Companies, Corporate Counsel Magazine
- Hennepin County Bar Association Employer Diversity Award
- Leading Lawyer for Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense, The Legal 500
- Minnesota Attorney of the Year
- Minnesota Lawyer Diversity & Inclusion Award
- Minnesota Minority Business Owner of the Year
- Minnesota Super Lawyers®
- National Bar Association Commercial Section Cora T. Walker Award
- Outstanding Black Business of the Year (MN Black Chamber of Commerce)
- U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers® in America
- U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers® Best Law Firms in America