Amarachi Ihejirika represents clients nationwide in a variety of complex commercial litigation and product liability matters. Her practice includes all aspects of civil pre-trial practice including developing proactive winning strategies at the commencement of litigation, briefing offensive and defensive motions, and conducting all phases of discovery.
Prior to joining Blackwell Burke P.A., Ms. Ihejirika worked at a large law firm in the Twin Cities where her practice focused on complex commercial litigation. In addition to products liability, Ms. Ihejirika has experience in the areas of financial services litigation, employment-related litigation and counseling, and energy litigation. Ms. Ihejirika also has pro-bono experience assisting in the representation of asylum seekers.
A graduate of the University of Minnesota Law School, Ms. Ihejirika served as President of the Black Law Students Association, as a Student Director for the Maynard Pirsig Moot Court, and as a Student Director for the Community Mediation Clinic.
Ms. Ihejirika is a member of the Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers (MABL), Twin Cities Diversity in Practice (TCDIP), the Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA), and the Federal Bar Association (FBA).
When she is not zealously defending clients, Ms. Ihejirika enjoys kickboxing and other fitness-related activities, cooking, and traveling.
- In Re: Bair HuggerTMMDL Summary Judgement Victory. Won a landmark victory for 3M Company in the federal Bair HuggerTM Multidistrict Litigation (MDL) securing the dismissal of one of the 10 largest MDLs in the country. The MDL court dismissed the more than 5,000 cases against 3M after it entered summary judgment for 3M and granted the firm’s motion to exclude the opinions of the plaintiffs’ experts. Measured by the number of cases dismissed, the summary judgment win represents one of the largest-impact defense wins in history.
- Gareis v. 3M Company (Bair Hugger™).Won a complete defense verdict for one of the world’s largest global innovation manufacturing companies in the first product liability multidistrict litigation (MDL) bellwether trial in Minnesota Federal District Court. The jury agreed with the defense that the warming device did not cause surgical site infections. This case is one of more than 5,000 cases in the Minnesota MDL all involving numerous complex novel scientific legal issues. Also secured dismissal of all Minnesota State cases, prevented Plaintiffs from adding punitive damages, won a significant motion to compel, securing more than $11,000 in fees and costs for client. The verdict was widely covered in the media.
Publications & Presentations
- Profiles in Practice: Emily Cooper, The Hennepin Lawyer(2016)
- Profiles in Practice: Maya Saleh, The Hennepin Lawyer(2017)
- Vinita Banthia & Amarachi Ihejirika, Environmental Justice in Regional Transportation Plans, ASSOC. L., PROPERTY, SOC’Y, University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, GA (May 2, 2015)
- Diversity Profile: Jerry W. Blackwell,FBA Bar Talk (2020)